National Museum of Ireland

The ” ‘National Museum of Ireland’ ‘, in English National Museum of Ireland, in Irish Ard-Mhúsaem na héireann’ ‘, is the National Museum of the Republic of Ireland. It has three centers in Dublin and one in Mayo County. It places particular emphasis on the art, culture and natural history of Ireland.

The Department of Archeology and History of Kildare Street offers exhibitions on prehistoric Ireland (ancient gold artifacts), Viking and medieval periods (church treasures), and more recent eras, as well as special displays of artifacts. Egypt, Cyprus and the Roman world. Special exhibitions are also regularly organized. The department includes pieces such as Ardagh’s Chalice, Tara’s Brooch, Broker’s Treasure, and Derrynaflan’s Chalice, all famous examples of high-medieval metalwork in Ireland, as well as prehistoric ornaments from the Bronze Age in Ireland. Many of these pieces were discovered by peasants, when the increase in population led to the cultivation of lands left untouched since the Middle Ages. Of course, without the intervention of George Petrie of the Royal Academy of Ireland, and similar people from the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, most of the metal parts would have been melted down for the intrinsic value of their materials, as it frequently happened despite their efforts. Today the Irish are more sensitive to their heritage, as shown by the discovery in July 2006 of the Faddan More Psalter. The museums of the two institutions listed above formed the base of the Archeology and History Department of Kildare Street. It was here that the “Dublin Museum of Science and Art” opened in 1890 in the building designed by Thomas Newenham Deane and his son, Thomas Manly Deane. Until 1922, this site also included Leinster House, which now houses the Oireachtas.

Decorative Arts and History, where the Great Seal of the Irish Free State is located, is the part of the collection held at Collins Barracks, a former barracks named in 1922 in memory of Irish politician Michael Collins . This site opened in 1997, and also houses the museum’s administrative center, shop and cafeteria. The department presents furniture, silverware, ceramics and glass, as well as examples of popular costumes, everyday objects, coins and weapons. A Chinese porcelain vase dating from around 1300 is one of the main pieces. Special exhibitions are organized regularly, for example, in summer 2007, that of the Irish High Crosses.

Country Life is the most recently opened part of the museum in 2001. It is located in Castlebar, County Mayo. There are exhibitions on the house, the natural environment and the forces of change. This museum focused on the daily life of the middle of the middle of the country, with most materials coming from rural Ireland in the 1930s.

The ‘Museum of Natural History’, which is part of the National Museum, though often thought to be distinct, is in Dublin, Merrion Street. It houses specimens of animals from around the world. His collection, as well as his Victorian appearance, have not changed much since the beginning of.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *